Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It's All Good!

I am so pleased to write that Julianne's swallow study went so much better than I ever imagined! She was calm and cooperative. My mom joined Julianne and I and she played entertainer while I spoke with the Speech therapist as she filled me in on what they would be doing and what I needed to do. We brought the portable dvd player and played Julianne's favorite Mickey episode, pausing when she would refuse to take a bite or sip and then starting it again after she did what we asked. They got a clear look at Julianne's swallow and everything looked fine. We don't have the official report yet though. At this point it seems that her gagging is more of a sensory issue. So, we'll keep on working on getting her to tolerate more foods and varying textures. Thank you so much for all of your prayers for that day. Julianne certainly had a peace that surpassed all understanding. Thank you, God! :)

We had a super-fun play date with Julianne's "heart sister", Emma Kate, and, yet again, I DIDN'T TAKE A SINGLE PICTURE!! What kind of slacker mom.... Anyway, Emma Kate's mommy suggested we bring Julianne's booster to the swallow study and I think that was a HUGE help! She would have freaked out being strapped in that chair. So, if you are about to take your toddler to a swallow study, bring your own chair! Oh, and your own cup and spoon!

Also, Little Gym went WONDERFUL! Julianne surprised me by being willing to try almost all of the activities and she loved it. It was just awesome to see her enjoying something that is so different from her usual activities. She even swung from the uneven bars! Can you believe that? We've signed her up for the fall semester and her next class is tomorrow. I'm so excited!!

Ready for her first day at The Little Gym

Now she's really ready!!

Swimming in the shade

Out with Daddy and Mommy

Bubbles with daddy



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh such wonderful news all around!!! Thank God for his blessings!!

Wow I am glad she likes her gym class so far and I hope she contines to enjoy it!!

Who knows maybe she will be the next Mary Lou Retton Olympic gymnist:)

I love you all and can't wait to see you soon.

Also loved the pictures!

Aunt\Great Suzette

Emma Kate said...

Such a sweet girl! I am SO happy that the swallow study went well, and that it didn't show any problems! I am LOVING Julianne's outfit in those first two pictures! She is killing me with all that cuteness :)

P.S. I wonder if I can find that outfit in my size?

Anonymous said...

Praising God for His peace, as we walked on egg shells; HE held Julianne's heart and mind in total peace she was unaware of the darkened room, four or five staff buzzing around , the huge radiology equipment...get the picture? I was thanking God every few minutes in total amazement! Going to see my little acrobat this morning, there is a viewing room and Grammie and Aunt Laura are looking forward to this time. Sweet pictures ! love you! Grammie

Julie Miles said...

What an answer to prayer for Julianne's peace and cooperation throughout the swallow study! Amazing what God (and a little motivation from Toodles) can do for toddlers! LOL We took one of Ethan's favorite Mickey Mouse episodes with us to his last cardiologist appt. but he was so perfect for the echo that we never even had to start watching in the first place!

Hope she continues to have fun at her gym class!

Heart Hugs,

Julie, Dan & Ethan Miles

Anonymous said...

Eat and Swallow on, Julianne! Alot of yummy food out there for you. What a good girl. Love, love, love that sweater. Now you need one in every color. We love you all. Hope to see you soon.
Love, Aunt Toni and Uncle Jake